How To Find Inspiration

After all of my pontificating as of late about the fine art of writing (yes, pontificating is my word du jour) I find myself in the unenviable situation of desperately seeking inspiration. I've been sick the past few days with a nasty cold (thanks a lot you stupid groundhog) and haven't even opened up my laptop since the weekend.

Until today.

At which point, I found myself staring blankly at a half-finished chapter thinking, "Now, how in the hell am I going to finish THIS?"

Apparently the gears of the machine are a little rusty. Now I have to figure out what type of oil to apply to get things running smoothly again. Once upon a time, I would have just switched projects. Usually moving from one story to another enables me to jar the muse off her corncob ( and NO I won't say where that corncob is) and my creativity starts to flow again. Today, for some reason, that isn't working. Therefore, I find myself following my own advice and blogging to see if anything starts to work.

The problems I face in different types of fiction are completely different. It's not uncommon for me to insert a sort of stream-of-consciousness scene into a stagnant story just to see where the characters take me. This works fairly well for mainstream fantasy work--and occasionally I even leave the scene in. That sort of soul-searching is a very human trait, and one that I beleive has a place in fiction. The downside of that tendency can be found in writing erotica novellas.

Anyone who reads my erotica knows that my novellas are actually a complete book--intended to be read consecutively with no break in the action. Anyone in my writing crit group can tell you that I don't write *short.* Keeping to 30k is a chore for me. As a matter of fact, book three of the Shequanti is starting to look like a book three and a book four if I don't rein it in. The problem I'm running into is a plot snag that JUST....WON'T......RESOLVE.....

Damnit!

I see one way to resolve it--but that would definitely MAKE a fourth book necessary. It is obviously very easy for me to write myself into a corner. This time I may have written myself down the hall.

*sigh*

Oh, well. Back to the grind. If you ever wondered why this blog is called "Elf Killing and other Hobbies" now you know the answer.

Darn those Elves anyway.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A&E's Cursed: The Bell Witch Episode 1--Thoughts on the Premiere,Fact Checks and BS Meter From Someone Who Knows

The Climb -- Patricia Head Summitt 1952-2016 In Memoriam

If the Southeastern Conference Won't Act, Then Fans Need To