Technicalities

I've been thinking a lot about writer techniques lately.

You know, writing is not an easy craft. There are definite rules and regulations involved, particularly if publishing is a writer's goal. The English language is inherently a pain in the ass, because there are so many rules with so many exceptions. It's very easy to get sloppy.

I try -- note the word try -- to write even my first drafts in as grammatically correct a mode as possible. Then, my writing critique group gets it and rips it to shreds, which is good. I listen to them. I trust their opinions and expertise. For the most part, my storylines seem to be okay. It's the damn commas and adverbs that kick my ass.

Literally.

So now, when I review, I turn into a fiend on that. *sigh* Absolutely retarded.

Last week, my story about a cross-dressing dwarf was accepted for publication by Jupiter World Press. I was pretty excited about it--still am, actually. "Free Willy" has been a mantra for the Dragon's Den critiquers, mostly because I think Willy is so damn funny. It doesn't take a lot to amuse myself, apparently. So, high off this unexpected and entirely ridiculous ego boost, I've jumped straight into the anthology pool in our forum. We have a month to write our stories, mine is the last one, and it's already running at 16k.

SIXTEEN????

Holy shit.

Then I went back and checked out my adverbs.

Make that 15k.

Since I'm already about 5k over limit, I think I may be in trouble. So, in the interests of preserving the sanity of my peers (who will, after all, have to critique the damn thing), I got up this morning and deleted it. I'm starting over from scratch. Hopefully, that will work.

(see? only one adverb in that last paragraph. I'm learning.)

Comments

Bibsy said…
16K!? Windbag. :p

But don't worry. Knowing me, mine will clock in under 3K.

I'll be PMing you over in the Den about passing the coin. I think I've come up with a suitably violent end to my story. *evil grin*
Daniel Ausema said…
Mine'll likely by around 4k, so already you've got a good 7k extra to work with :)
Samantha Iriks said…
You deleted it to start again? Are you crazy??? 16k and you deleted it???

Popular posts from this blog

The Happy Warrior

A&E's Cursed: The Bell Witch Episode 1--Thoughts on the Premiere,Fact Checks and BS Meter From Someone Who Knows

Baylor Rape Scandal for Blogcritics--Part Four