Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Make me stop!

Wow. I can see the light reflecting from the floor tiles three back from the end of the tunnel!

If you're not a writer, let me explain. The work is NEVER done. Even after something has been published, I can go back and skim through it and wince. "Gee, maybe I should have reworked that sentence; it's a little awkward." And before I know it, presto! I'm rewriting something that ostensibly is done.

I am soooooooooooooo close to being done with Asphodel. Sooooooooooooooo close to being able to close the book on it (ha ha! made a funny!) and move on to another project. I'm writing the last 15k of the last book. I'm doing the final proofs on book one as it gets ready for publication. I have PRESS KITS for god's sake! BUT I STILL TWEAK THE DARN THING DAILY.

*sigh* Rewriting for me isn't a sit down and bang it out kind of venture. Rewriting for me occurs as follows: I sit down to read my manuscript. If I'm into the story, then obviously there are no mistakes (until the next time I read it.) If something makes my engrossment stumble, there's a problem. I ran the grammar check on Asphodel last night (I hit ignore on it usually. Some of its 'errors' aren't and I will use sentence fragments, damnit!) and the manuscript has a Fleisch-Kincaid grade level of 4.9 and a reading ease level of 80.7. That's pretty good, I think. It means my younger brother might be able to read half of the first page.

So yes...hopefully my editor can pry the manuscript out of my sweaty, desperately clutching hands before I rewrite the whole darn thing. I'm sure she will; she's quite forceful. Make me stop!! I'll be good....I promise.




No comments: