Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Distractions

I can't concentrate today. I've been too concerned with why the Pepto doesn't work. So, in response to my intestinal agitation, I meandered on over to the Smart Bitches site and took a gander at what they have going on.

Uh oh. More cover snarkiness.

*snicker*

Sad but true, I laughed until I cried. It wasn't so much the covers as the comments they make on them. I can't even really describe it without stomping on some formidable toes...and gods forbid any of MY covers get honked. It did make me wonder, though, how I'd react if one of my covers DID get snarked upon over there.

*snicker*

Probably just about like that. Book covers are supposed to sell books, right? Well, I have to admit I popped on over to the Lady Aibell site and checked out the alien book. I couldn't help myself. I just had to know.

At any rate, the book is listed under a section called Hillbilly Haven--oh dear!--and you can read the blurb for it here. Granted, it's not my cup of tea, but it DID get me to go look. It sounds like something I would write for one of my crit group's Friday Night Writes--on purpose to be a smartass.

Now, a friend of mine did comment that Eros looked like a psycho killer on the cover of my first book Goddess' Revenge--and I agreed with him. He did. But I thought it was funny. *grin* guess where I'm trying to go with this is simply this: no need to get your knickers in a knot if someone snarks your cover. Even a bad cover (particularly a VERY bad cover) might get people to go look at your book and if your blurb is well-written and has a nice hook, they might buy your book regardless.

For example, this recent comment I got on an email from someone who bought Goddess' Revenge:

I don't usually buy stuff from Changeling because I don't like their
covers, but this is definitely one example of 'don't judge a book by its cover' ,because your story was fabulous.


See? So snark away at my demon-eyed stalker covers! I think the shit is funny. *grin* Just don't laugh at my adverbs--then I might have to kill you.

No comments: